20190915022489A

Accident · Substantial damage

FAA accident report · Cessna 175A · Nenana, AK · September 15, 2019

Date
September 15, 2019 · 12:58 local
Place
Nenana, AK
Airport
Off Airport
Phase of flight
Takeoff: Climb Out
Operating rules
General operating rules (Part 91)
Damage
Substantial damage
Aircraft
N6837E
NTSB investigation
NTSBGAA19CA555
Reported as
Cessna 175A
People aboard
1
Fatal injuries
0
Other injuries
0
Pilot’s certificate
Private pilot
Pilot’s flight hours
1,600 total1,500 in this make and model43 in the last 90 days

From the FAA’s Accident/Incident Data System (AIDS), through its Aviation Safety Information Portal, as reported. The NTSB investigates accidents separately, and its record of an accident is the fuller one. The aircraft is matched to the registry by N-number and event date, checked against the reported make and model; the registry’s history has gaps, so older matches can be wrong. Compare the reported make and model.

What happened

The FAA’s narrative, in sentence case. The FAA writes it in capitals and removes private details.

Narrative in airman?s words:

Sunday, September 15, 2019, at an unnamed lake approximately 35 miles southwest of Nenana, Alaska. Proceeded to do a pre-flight to include 10 gallons of fuel added.

Warmed the airplane up, took off the lake to the north with a northeast wind of approximately 10 knots with gusts to 20, estimated. Departed the water with some difficulty due to the winds. The terrain on the east side of the lake is a ridge approximately 75 to 100 feet in elevation above the lake, causing some down drafts. Proceeded to climb out with some difficulty. Got to the end of the lake, and lost some altitude. Made the decision to turn and return to the water. As I turned downwind, a gust of wind hit my tail and stalled the left wing and crashed. Was able to maintain consciousness and evacuate the airplane and walk back to camp approximately ½ mile. At which time another airplane carrying the ELT beacon landed to assist and flew me into north pole and helped me get to the hospital. My original destination was going to be unnamed lake to Nenana and no more flying that day.

If I had maintained northward departure could have possibly have made it to a second lake for landing or I could have pulled power and possibly landed on the very end of the lake. Either decision would be preferred over turning back to the departing lake.

The airplane was totaled with extensive damage, floats, fuselage and engine. The departure time was approximated 12:45 pm. No services were available. Other than wind conditions being strong, clouds and temperature were acceptable.

As the FAA filed it

NARRATIVE IN AIRMAN?S WORDS:

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, 2019, AT AN UNNAMED LAKE APPROXIMATELY 35 MILES SOUTHWEST OF NENANA, ALASKA. PROCEEDED TO DO A PRE-FLIGHT TO INCLUDE 10 GALLONS OF FUEL ADDED.

WARMED THE AIRPLANE UP, TOOK OFF THE LAKE TO THE NORTH WITH A NORTHEAST WIND OF APPROXIMATELY 10 KNOTS WITH GUSTS TO 20, ESTIMATED. DEPARTED THE WATER WITH SOME DIFFICULTY DUE TO THE WINDS. THE TERRAIN ON THE EAST SIDE OF THE LAKE IS A RIDGE APPROXIMATELY 75 TO 100 FEET IN ELEVATION ABOVE THE LAKE, CAUSING SOME DOWN DRAFTS. PROCEEDED TO CLIMB OUT WITH SOME DIFFICULTY. GOT TO THE END OF THE LAKE, AND LOST SOME ALTITUDE. MADE THE DECISION TO TURN AND RETURN TO THE WATER. AS I TURNED DOWNWIND, A GUST OF WIND HIT MY TAIL AND STALLED THE LEFT WING AND CRASHED. WAS ABLE TO MAINTAIN CONSCIOUSNESS AND EVACUATE THE AIRPLANE AND WALK BACK TO CAMP APPROXIMATELY ½ MILE. AT WHICH TIME ANOTHER AIRPLANE CARRYING THE ELT BEACON LANDED TO ASSIST AND FLEW ME INTO NORTH POLE AND HELPED ME GET TO THE HOSPITAL. MY ORIGINAL DESTINATION WAS GOING TO BE UNNAMED LAKE TO NENANA AND NO MORE FLYING THAT DAY.

IF I HAD MAINTAINED NORTHWARD DEPARTURE COULD HAVE POSSIBLY HAVE MADE IT TO A SECOND LAKE FOR LANDING OR I COULD HAVE PULLED POWER AND POSSIBLY LANDED ON THE VERY END OF THE LAKE. EITHER DECISION WOULD BE PREFERRED OVER TURNING BACK TO THE DEPARTING LAKE.

THE AIRPLANE WAS TOTALED WITH EXTENSIVE DAMAGE, FLOATS, FUSELAGE AND ENGINE. THE DEPARTURE TIME WAS APPROXIMATED 12:45 PM. NO SERVICES WERE AVAILABLE. OTHER THAN WIND CONDITIONS BEING STRONG, CLOUDS AND TEMPERATURE WERE ACCEPTABLE.

NTSB investigation

The NTSB’s investigation of this event, with its probable cause and findings. Matched to this report by N-number and date.